29 November 2009

NaNoWriMo 09, and "Gankutsuou" a quick review


I did it, 50,000 words in 30 days. It's a good exercise, and I think I learn a lot about novel writing by participating. This year I hope I've developed some material that I can actually turn into a novel, but we'll see how we go as I've got a list of other projects to work on, a number of short stories to re-work, an ANZAPA contibution to finish, a box of books to catalogue in the library where I do some volunteer work, and, of course, I have to keep up my gym workouts.

Still, I feel so much better after my nano achievement that I've gone back to my list of house renovations that need to be done.

Meanwhile, I'm treating myself to watching the Gankutsuou, an anime series based on Dumas'  revenge tragedy The Count of Monte Cristo. The story is set in the future, and part of the Count's motivation now comes from having been taken over by what is essentially a revenge demon. However, it is beautifully done, the designs are really intriguing, and it's certainly a visual feast.

It is also clear that the makers love the original story, and it does invite one to re-read the novel.

Worth checking out.Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, from Studio Gonzo.


Cheers
Morva Shepley
http://morvahouse.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

YOUR SAY: