3 November 2008

Primary Inversion by Catherine Asaro : Review

Well, it's NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month. This will be my first year to give it a go, so wish me luck.

Meanwhile, when I get a chance to read, I'm making my way through Primary Inversion, by Catherine Asaro. It's touted as a "Ruby Dynasty Novel", but I haven't read any of those so I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

It's about a Jagernaut, an enhanced soldier, who is also a member of the Ruby dynasty. In short, she's royalty. This is because of her special telepathic abilities which enable her to access something called the Kyle Mesh, which is like internet for telepaths. Only her people have the telepathic ability to do this, and only the royalty, so it's a pretty secure and gives them an edge in their battle against the evil Traders.

Only she's falling in love with one of the Traders. Not just any Trader either, but one of their royalty.

That's as far as I've got so far. One good thing about the book is that although there are situations you can see coming, such as the romance, these situations turn out to be just one twist in the story.

After NaNoWriMo I might have time to give this book the kind of review it deserves. At the moment, all I can say is that it seems to be light, summer reading, along the lines of some of Elizabeth Moon's space operas.

At the moment I rate it 5 out of 5 tangy lime sticks of chewing gum.

Cheers until December.

P.S. Primary Inversion is available for free through the Baen Free Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

YOUR SAY: